Wednesday 11 August 2010

Fashion is a lifestyle, It's a choice...


By Ollie Lee

When my friends at school were reading The Beano and The Dandy I was reading Vogue, I was obsessed with the clothes and the models, the fabrics, the beauty of the styling... I could go on. However, having very basic artist ability, I was never going to be a designer and gave up hope of ever working in the industry when I was very young, but it seems fashion will always follow me everywhere.

Since I moved to London four years ago most of my closest friends have been stylists, fashion buyers or student artists, and just last week I moved to a new house in Fulham with three of the housemates working for companies within the industry, but I never thought it would follow me to The Railway Children.

One of The Railway Children’s most inspired qualities is that it takes place on a real train platform, and if anyone has seen the show, or spent any time on the old Eurostar platform you will not be surprised that one of the platforms is going to be used as a runway during fashion week. It’s a horribly beautiful industrial space, a mess of concrete, steel and glass, and if you catch the platform at the right time of day, and when the sun is out, eerie shadows are cast across the lonesome tracks and the dusty space is like something from Studio Ghibli.

So for the last few weeks I have been showing people round the platform, like a proud father, only too happy to show off the amazing space we are using for our production, as various people scribble down notes and sketches.

There really is little more to say on the matter for now, apart from I cannot wait for fashion week, and they are going to have an amazing show!

This blog is definitely to be continued...!!

P.S. Word to the wise for anyone attending the fashion show in September... pack some flats!

No comments:

Post a Comment