Friday 25 June 2010

The Dreaded Stage Door - Part 2

By Ollie Lee


In Harry Potter there is the room of requirement, the magical room has a door that can only be found by those who know how to find it. Well here at The Railway Children we have the Stage Door.


Previously the stage door had been down a little hidden road round at the back of Waterloo Station. That is where I headed to on the first day of work after a brief soirée in the Channel Islands, only to find an abandoned loaf of bread and a crumpled Metro rolling past but no entrance.


Confusion instantly set in, followed by panic, as I was dangerously close to being late for work (something I hate). So I resigned myself to wander up and down the road searching for a way in. Eventually I found it with thirty seconds to go. I staggered into the office, sweaty and exasperated, but thankfully greeted by lots of smiley faces welcoming me back.


“The stage door has moved,” I managed through my obviously unfit breathing.


“Oh yeah,” was the response. “How was your holiday?”


So that was that, we had a new entrance, ha! What a fool to think it could be that simple.


Construction has moved forward enough now that we are able to use the old Eurostar entrance to get into the building, the entrance that the audience will soon be using, but we can only use it between certain hours.


“Great” I thought “tomorrow is going to be so much easier to get into work.”

But oh no, that would be way too simple for the mysterious stage door. This morning I took my time in the station, having very little distance to walk. I picked up a new book and waited in the long line for coffee.


With five minutes to spare I arrived at the new stage door - five minutes to spare I arrived at a bolted gate! So once again I ended up rushing round the back streets of Waterloo Station for a way in, and once again I ended up at the office hot and sweaty. I never even liked the film Groundhog Day so I really don’t want to be living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment