Thursday 8 July 2010

Final Dress 03/07/10

By Ollie Lee


Having arrived home from a long day of work I jumped in the shower, (this anecdote has a point I promise) half way through washing my face I became aware of an overly fruity smell, only to realise that it was coming from the shampoo I was using. After realising I just washed my face with shampoo, I grabbed the face wash and promptly starting washing my hair with it. This gives you some idea of how tired and distracted everyone is right now from getting this show up and running.

Opening a brand new show in a space never used before, a space until very recently was a disused railway station, is no small ask. In the last couple of hours we have seen two bars appear out of nowhere, a shop suddenly filled with merchandise, as well as the arrival of a popcorn stand, sweet stand, VIP area, platform benches and a whole load of potted agriculture.

Most excitingly, today we see the arrival of our first real audience!

We have skimmed over it lots already but I really feel it needs to be reiterated just what a massive job this is. We are not working in a theatre, we are providing a theatre. We are working in a train station which means we have to comply with reams of rules and guidelines on how we use the space, and you haven’t seen health and safety till you have worked in a station like Waterloo. As well as the staging and real steam train to contend with, we have a whole experience laid up before you even get to your seats, and everything is brand new. This has never been done before!

But all that is left to say at this stage I suppose - is break a leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment